Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WCW - California (or Compton) Love




Instagram: Ajalbrown
After a much needed break from Carson City; instead of going to Las Vegas, I went "home", as in where I was born and raised. It’s such an amazing feeling when you drive out of LAX with the windows down, looking at those palm trees in 70 degree weather.  While cruising the streets of LA, I loved seeing all the political signs of my peers. It was quite refreshing. Perfect timing for Woman Crush Wednesday. Plus I needed to put a hold on posting Nevada Legislature stuff for a second.

Two years ago when I thought about Compton, I thought of N.W.A, Kendrick Lamar and gangs. Now when somebody says Compton; Aja Brown comes to mind.  History was made in June of 2013 when Aja Brown became the youngest mayor to be elected to the City of Compton, California. Even though I grew up in Inglewood, I have so much respect for this woman. At 31 years old, Aja won her  mayoral race by 63%. She is often quoted as wanting to make Compton the new Brooklyn. So far as Mayor; crime is down 25%, 1000 new jobs are coming to the city. This beautiful young woman is a true example of inspiration and girl power.

No comments:

Post a Comment